Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Наша Маша (Our Masha) and Пан банан (Mr. Banana)

Once upon a time there was a Ukrainian named Маша.  I called her Наша Маша because, really, everybody should have a friend like her.  She was funny, kind, pretty, and she liked apples.

But what if Наша Маша wasn't a Ukrainian who studied in Kyiv?  What if she had been born an apple?  Well, I guess that's what this story is about.  If Наша Маша had been born an apple, she would be shiny and red.  Her leaves would be green.  And she would grow on a tree.  But not a lemon tree or an orange tree.  She would grow on an apple tree because apples usually grow on them.  Well, sometimes rebellious apples grow on cherry trees and it often makes the cherries feel confused and scared, but Наша Маша wasn't a rebellious apple.  Cherries were her friend.

One warm afternoon, Наша Маша was hanging from a tree when a squirrel came up to her.
"Hello, Наша Маша.  What are you doing?"  asked the squirrel.
"Hello, білoчка friend.  I'm just hanging from the tree.  And growing.  I dream that someday I will be tasty.  And maybe I will even be made into tea," replied Наша Маша.
"Interesting.  Bye."  The squirrel had a busy day of eating nuts, so he had to go.

Наша Маша liked everybody in the village including Пан банан, even though she was jealous of him.

"Наша Маша, why are you jealous of me?"  asked Пан банан. 
"Well, if you want to know the truth, I am jealous because you wear such a beautiful yellow sweater.  It is quite fashionable.  And also, you have such an interesting shape.  I mean, my round shape is boring and that makes me sad," explained Наша Маша.

"Awww, Наша Маша.  You shouldn't feel jealous.  It's amazing to be round.  You are the same shape as a ball, as the planet, and other round things, including other types of apples.  But look at me.  I am a very silly shape.  I am...simply shaped like a banana."

Suddenly Наша Маша felt very happy again.  "You are so right, Пан банан!!!  You look absolutely ridiculous.  I feel so much better now.  You are the best!"

And so Наша Маша gave Пан банан a hug.  And they danced.  Or at least they tried to.  But it can be hard for apples and bananas to dance because they don't have legs.  But that's okay.

THAT COMPLETES THIS TALE

No comments:

Post a Comment