Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Olena Makes Friends With a Crab

One lovely afternoon Turtle Anya was going for a walk when she crossed paths with Olena the Cucumber Princess.  Olena was looking very confused and sad.

"What's wrong, Lena?" asked Turtle Anya.
"I just realized something.  I don't have any crab friends," replied Olena.
"What do you mean?"
"I mean I don't have a single friend who is a crab.  And that makes me sad," explained Olena.
"Um...interesting," said Anya.  And then she walked away.
Olena decided she should do something about this problem.  So she took a marshrutka to Odesa so she could be introduced to a crab.  When she reached the beach, she found one.
"Hello, crab.  My name is Olena.  I am the princess of cucumbers.  I also like tomatoes sometimes."
The crab looked at her, but didn't respond.
"I think we will become the best friends ever!" declared Olena.
"Okay.  Whatever," said the crab.  It would be the only words he would speak during this entire story.

Olena joined the crab and they went to the bottom of the sea.  Olena became very excited about this adventure.  First, the crab was swimming and then he stopped to eat something.  Then he swam some more.  Then he stopped to eat some more things.  Also, he buried himself in the sand to avoid dangerous animals.  Olena waited for him to come out of the sand so the adventure could continue.  Two hours later, her crab friend came out.  I guess it was safe to continue swimming.  Olena began to realize that maybe she wasn't really missing anything special when she didn't have a crab friend.  The crab didn't appear to have any interesting hobbies besides eating and hiding.  He didn't listen to music, he didn't watch movies.  And most importantly, he really didn't have anything to say.  Finally, Olena
shook the crab's hand and said, "It was very pleasant to meet you.  I must be going now."

The next day, Turtle Anya was going for a walk when she saw Olena again.  Olena was looking very happy and content.

"Why are you so happy, Lena?" asked Turtle Anya.
"I just realized something," answered Olena.  "Crabs don't make very interesting friends."
"Yes, Lena.  This is true.  I'm glad you know the truth.  Now let's go to a cafe and eat some cucumber sandwiches and drink tomato juice."
Olena agreed that this was a fabulous idea.


THAT'S ALL I'VE GOT HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment